At a Feb. 1 special meeting, the Fort Plain Central School District Board of Education approved the offering of higher risk winter sports in accordance with state and local Department of Health and athletic league requirements and as long as certain health and safety conditions are met.
On Jan. 22, 2021, the Governor and New York State Department of Health (DOH) authorized schools to offer certain higher-risk winter sports effective Feb. 1, as permitted and authorized by local county health departments. DOH subsequently issued updated guidelines for such sports, and the New York State Public High School Athletic Association (NYSPHSAA) and Section 2 issued revised “Return to Interscholastic Athletics [Guidelines] for the 2020-21 Season.”
[Note 3/9/2021: NYSPHSAA has updated their document.]
On Jan. 29, 2021, the Montgomery County Executive and Public Health Director announced that they had approved schools within the county to provide higher risk winter sports, subject to certain requirements.
Fort Plain Central School staff and leadership developed a plan to offer winter sports, including varsity girls and varsity boys basketball, junior varsity boys basketball and varsity cheerleading, in accordance with all applicable state DOH, county DOH, and league health and safety requirements, which will be implemented during all practices and games, and under the following conditions:
- Each parent/guardian must sign the district’s COVID-19 informed consent for athletic participation form;
- The County DOH approves the district’s plan containing the health and safety protocols in place to allow sports to safely occur;
- If, at any time, the high school hybrid learning model moves to remote-only learning, athletics, scrimmages, and practices will be temporarily suspended in their entirety and coaches shall not be required to engage in coaching responsibilities;
- No spectators will be allowed at any athletic contest – as stated by the Western Athletic Conference and Montgomery County; and,
- All practices and contests will occur in accordance with all guidelines issued by New York State, the County and NYSPHSAA/Section/League as such guidelines may be amended at any time.
District participation in the winter sports can be suspended if the Superintendent deems such action necessary. Contact the Superintendent’s office with any questions.
Resources & downloads:
NYSPHSAA Return to Interscholastic Athletics, January 2021
[Note 3/9/2021: NYSPHSAA has updated the above document.]