Annual school budget vote and board election rescheduled by the state
New York state school budget votes and board of education elections will be delayed until at least June 1, 2020, according to an executive order released by Governor Andrew Cuomo on Monday, March 30, 2020. View the executive order here.
The order specifically says, “Any school board, library board, or village election scheduled to take place in April or May of 2020 is hereby postponed until at least June 1, 2020, and subject to further directive as to the timing, location or manner of voting for such elections.”
This change will also impact school districts’ regular notification practices and timelines for sharing information about the vote and election.
- Ronald Kardash, President, term expires June 30, 2022
- Joseph Bartholomew, 1st Vice President, term expires June 30, 2022
- Mary Beth Hudyncia, 2nd Vice President, term expires June 30, 2021
- Jeffrey Jones, term expires June 30, 2020
- Kimberly Keane, term expires June 30, 2021
- Todd McFee, term expires June 30, 2020
- David Przestrzelski, term expires June 30, 2020
Board of Education members serve for three-year terms. Regular elections for two or three seats are held each year on the third Tuesday in May, the same date residents vote on the coming year’s school budget. New board terms begin on July 1.
Any U.S. citizen who is a resident of Fort Plain Central School District for 30 days prior to the vote may run for a seat on the board. For information on how to be placed on the ballot, contact the district clerk.
All meetings are held in the Ronald H. Thibodeau Conference Room in the District Office.
- Tuesday, July 2: Reorganization Meeting, 7 p.m.
- Wednesday, Aug. 14: Regular Meeting, 7 p.m.
- Wednesday, Sept. 11: Regular Meeting, 7 p.m.
- Wednesday, Oct. 9: Regular Meeting, 7 p.m.
- Wednesday, Nov. 13: Regular Meeting, 7 p.m.
- Wednesday, Dec. 11: Regular Meeting, 6 p.m.
- Wednesday, Jan. 15: Regular Meeting, 6 p.m.
- Wednesday, Feb. 12: Regular Meeting, 6 p.m.
- Wednesday, March 11: Public Hearing on the Transportation and Buildings & Grounds Budgets, 6 p.m. Regular meeting to follow the public hearing.
- Wednesday, April 8: Public Hearing on the Elementary and Secondary Program Budgets, 7 p.m. Regular meeting to follow the public hearing.
- Wednesday, May 6: Public Hearing on the 2020-21 Budget, 7 p.m. Regular meeting to follow the public hearing.
- Tuesday, May 19: Regular Meeting, 7 p.m.
- Wednesday, June 10: Regular Meeting, 7 p.m.
The Fort Plain Central School District Board of Education meeting agendas and minutes are available on BoardDocs. Previous years school board minutes are archived and available by request through the District Office.
The Board of Education welcomes public comment at its meetings. During the Public Comment portion of the meeting, the President may ask for brief comments from the public and set a time limit on such comments. Persons wishing to speak will identify themselves with name and address, any organization they may be representing at the meeting and the agenda topic they wish to discuss. Comments should be kept as brief as possible and relate to school matters. Speakers may be limited to five (5) minutes at the discretion of the Board President. After the Open Board Meeting, the Board will proceed to Executive Session. This portion of the meeting is not open to the public as the Board will be discussing legal issues, appointments, resignations, and issues involving specific employees or students which are confidential.
After Executive Session, the Board will reconvene and may take action on issues discussed in executive session. The public is invited to return to this portion of the meeting but they must leave the meeting room during executive session.