Swipe card system
The Fort Plain CSD utilizes a swipe card system for its student ridership to enhance safety and improve the efficiency of the district’s school bus management system. Using a software system called Traversa on school buses, the district is able to track student bus riders and the locations of all buses in real-time mode whenever they are on the road.
Under the system, students are given a swipe card that is programmed with their name, where they are picked up by the bus and where they are dropped off. Students use their cards whenever they get on or off a school bus.
See the Swipe Card System webpage for more information and a list of frequently asked questions & answers.
Student safety is our first priority — Please review these rules with your children:
- The school bus is an extension of the classroom. Behave accordingly.
- Be on time for your scheduled pickup.
- Behave properly at the bus stop.
- Stay back 15 feet from the road while waiting.
- Students who cross the road must do so at least 15 feet in front of the bus AFTER receiving a hand signal from the driver.
- The bus driver may assign students to specific seats.
- Remain seated at all times.
- Items allowed on the bus must fit comfortably on the student’s lap.
- Keep the aisle clear of book bags, musical instruments, lunch boxes, etc.
- No glass containers are allowed on the bus.
- No animals, alive or dead, are allowed on the bus.
- Speak quietly.
- Do NOT use profane language.
- Students should NOT be destructive.
- Keep head, hands, and feet inside the bus.
- State law requires that students get on, get off, and cross only when the bus is at a complete stop with the red light flashing.
- Cooperate with the bus driver.
Driving and Parking
- In general, there is no parking available for students at the Junior/Senior High School
- Seniors are eligible for a lottery held each month for a limited number of student parking spaces.
- Students parking on school grounds may have their vehicles towed and will be subject to disciplinary action
- Parents driving their children to school are asked to avoid using bus loops prior to and after the school day.
- Junior/Senior high school students should be dropped off either on West Street or in the parking lot adjacent to the gymnasium.
- If you must drop your child off at the school itself, proceed to the back parking lot as directed.
- Students may be dropped off only in the front parking lot of the Harry Hoag School.
- To ensure proper supervision and safety, do not drop your child off at the side or in back of the school.
If you have questions about busing, please contact the bus garage at 518-993-4000 ext. #4001 or Transportation Supervisor Gary Ruszkowski at email@example.com.
It is illegal to pass a school bus displaying its flashing red lights, both on and off school property. These lights are displayed to indicate passengers are boarding or are being discharged and they serve the protection of students. This law is strictly enforced and any violators will be reported.