Skip to content

Student Registration

Registration for Pre-K students

Pre-kindergarten (Pre-K) is a full-day program offered at Harry Hoag Elementary School. Children must be 4 years old on or before December 1 of the school year they are being registered for to enroll in Pre-K. They also must be residents of the Fort Plain Central School District.

The district has 36 Pre-K spots available; if interest exceeds 36, then the district will conduct a random lottery drawing during July to determine who will be able to attend. Parents/guardians will be notified in writing of their child’s enrollment status after the day of the lottery.

Transportation to and from school will be provided by the school bus for any students who are 4 years of age. If your child begins the school year as a 3-year-old, he/she must be transported by an adult until he/she comes of age to be eligible to ride the bus per New York State law.

Registration packets are available by contacting Jennifer Weaver at or (518) 993-4000, ext. 3059.

Download the 2023-24 Pre-Kindergarten Handbook

Registration for Kindergarten students

Kindergarten is a full-day program at Harry Hoag Elementary School. Children must be 5 years old on or before December 1 of the school year they are being registered for, and they must be residents of the Fort Plain Central School District.

Children who are currently enrolled in Pre-K at Harry Hoag Elementary School will be automatically enrolled into kindergarten. No further action required.

Registration packets are available by contacting Jennifer Weaver at or (518) 993-4000, ext. 3059.

Detailed information about student registration follows below.

Registration for grades K-12 students not currently enrolled at Fort Plain

To enroll in Fort Plain Central School, New York State Education Law requires that students be residents of the district and of age to attend school. The following documents must be submitted to demonstrate:

1) Documentation of birth

One of the following:

  • Original birth certificate
  • Original baptismal certificate
  • Passport

The following will be permitted as proof of birthday only if none of the above documents exist or can be produced:

  • Official driver’s license
  • State or other government issued identification
  • School photo identification with date of birth
  • Consulate identification card
  • Hospital or health records
  • Military dependent identification card
  • Documents issued by federal, state, or local agencies
  • Court orders or other court-issued documents
  • Native American tribunal documents
  • Records from non-profit international aid agencies and volunteer agencies

2) Parent/guardian photo identification

Note: If you are not the parent listed on the birth certificate, you will need to provide certified copies of legal guardianship. Please also provide certified copies of any legal custody documents if applicable.

3) Proof of address

Two different items are required in one parent/guardian name.
Each must include the name and address of a parent or guardian and must be dated within 30 days prior to registration date.
Parent or guardian must be able to produce one document from each category. Two forms of proof of address from Category 2 will be acceptable only if the parent/guardian is unable to produce a document from Category 1.

Category 1

  • Copy of a residential lease, deed, or mortgage statement
  • A notarized statement by a third-party landlord, owner, or tenant whom the parent/guardian leases from or lives with
  • Other notarized statement by a third party establishing physical presence of parent/guardian within the school district

Category 2

  • Cell phone/telephone bill (welcome letter from phone company is acceptable)
  • Utility bill (electric, gas)
  • Satellite/cable television bill or installation receipt
  • Furniture rental statement
  • Auto insurance ID card
  • NYS driver’s license, learner’s permit, or non-driver ID
  • Payroll check (dated within the last two weeks) or income tax form
  • Social Security statements
  • DSS documentation
  • State or other government issued ID
  • Documents issued by federal, state, or local agencies

4) Official immunization record

Must be signed by physician or clinic staff.

5) Evidence of custody

Custody papers in the form of a court order or stamped petition are acceptable.

  • If the student is not the biological child, documentation must be presented which proves a permanent and total transfer of custody and control has been achieved.
  • Parents must be able to demonstrate they are the person in parental relation to the child, over whom they have total and permanent custody and control.
  • Under special circumstances, an affidavit may be used in substitution with approval from Pupil Personnel Services.

6) Report card or transcript

Required for all new students entering grades 7-12.

Registration of students living in temporary housing or without housing

Children and youth living in temporary housing can enroll in school without the documents normally needed to enroll. Children and youth are temporarily housed or homeless if they lack a fixed, regular and adequate nighttime residence, which includes, for example:

  • living in a shelter or,
  • sharing the home of a relative or a friend because they lost their home or were evicted.

For more information on receiving assistance while in temporary housing, please contact the district’s homeless liaison, Superintendent Lauren Crisman at

Physical Exam Requirements

New York State Education Law requires all new entrants and students in pre-K, kindergarten, and grades 1, 3, 5, 7, 9 and 11 to have physical exams. New entrants must submit proof of physical exam within 30 days of the start of the school [Education Law §903, 8 NYCRR §136.3 (c)(1)]. If proof of physical exam is not returned to school before our school physicians come for physicals, your child will have a health appraisal in school.

The NYS mandated health form is the only physical exam form we are allowed to accept. Dental certificates are also requested but not required for entrance to school.

Vaccination Requirements

Proof of vaccination (Public Health Law §2164) is required within 14 days of the first day of school or daycare. Children must receive the first age-appropriate dose in each immunization series to attend or remain in school or daycare. The 14 days may be extended when the student is transferring from out of state or from another country.

If you do not have proof of physical exams or vaccinations, you may also complete and upload a medical release form to allow school personnel to request medical records from your child’s physician on your behalf.

Registering a student with an IEP or 504 Plan

If you are registering a student with a disability who has an Individual Education Plan (IEP) or 504 Plan, be sure to indicate this information so necessary records can be requested.

Registration Packets

Registration packets may be downloaded from this website, and are also available by contacting Jennifer Weaver at or (518) 993-4000, ext. 3059.