Skip to content

November Newsletter Available

November 2018 Pennysaver Newsletter

Highlights of the Newsletter

District to Hold Public Vote on Capital Project:

The Fort Plain Central School district has announced a public vote on December 18th, to support an 11.2 million dollar capital project which will address health & safety upgrades to our facilities, along with building and site maintenance & improvements.

By addressing maintenance needs now, “this proposal protects the Fort Plain community’s long-term investment in our school facilities. This project helps us to avoid any potentially large future expenditures,” said Supertindent of Schools Dr. David Ziskin.

**Health & Safety upgrades will include a new fire alarm system in both buildings, HVAC upgrades, classroom door security, kitchen updates at the elementary school, and the installation of an emergency generator at the Jr/Sr High School.

**Building Maintenance and Enhancements will include roof reconstruction at both schools, outdated window replacement at the elementary school, masonry repairs, updates and floor refinishing in the Jr/Sr High School gym, expansion of the server room to accommodate growing technology infrastructure, and enclosing an open maintenance area at the bus garage.

**Improvements to our building sites will include permanent repair of the main water/sanitation line at the elementary campus, replacing pumps at the athletic complex, reconstruction of the deteriorating track surface, paving restoration in both parking areas, and drainage reconstruction behind the transportation facility.

By completing these needed repairs, improvements, and upgrades through a capital project, 94.9% of the funding will come through bonds which are supported by state building aid reimbursement. This leaves a local share in the project of 5.1% or $1.3 million. This local share would be funded from the district’s already existing capital reserve fund. As a result of using these reserve funds, there is no anticipated tax increase associated with this project.

If approved, the district’s project outline would be submitted to the State Education Department for approval in July 2019, go out to bid in January of 2020, and begin construction in July 2020. The total time of construction is anticipated to be 18 months.

The Capital Project Vote will be held on Tuesday, December 18th from 1:00-9:00 p.m. at the Harry Hoag Elementary School at 25 High Street, Fort Plain, NY. All district residents aged 18 and over are qualified to vote.

Gram Lorraine Program:

For nearly twenty years, the Gram Lorraine Program has been serving local families by providing deserving children of the Mohawk Valley with four items of clothing, and a toy, book or game during the holidays. For the 9th consecutive year, members of the Fort Plain School staff, along with other community members, have come together to support students in the Fort Plain area with gifts and clothing at Christmastime. Local coordinators Tara Hayes, Lori Fredericks, and Julie Crouse are grateful for the outpouring of support for the many families in our community who rely on the Gram Lorraine Program to bring joy to their children’s faces on Christmas morning.