All members of athletic teams are expected to achieve acceptable academic progress. The following policy will govern academic eligibility for athletics:
- All coaches will submit a list of participating students to the junior/senior high school principal once students are chosen to participate in a sport.
- To be eligible to participate, a student must not have failing or incomplete grades in one or more subjects.
- Eligibility will be checked at five-week intervals.
- If a student is found to have failing or incomplete grades in one or more subjects, he/she must follow the procedure outlined below to remain eligible for participation:
- The student will have seven calendar days from the date the ineligibility list is published to improve deficient grades to passing for that week’s work. During this seven-day period, the student will remain ineligible.
- At the end of the seven-day period, a five-week check of weekly progress will begin. The student must have teachers sign “pass/fail” slips reflecting work for that week. The slips must be approved by the building principal or designee ( or in their absence the superintendent).
- If the slip reflects more than one failing or incomplete grade for that week, the student will not be eligible until the next weekly check. The “pass/fail” slips must be signed by all teachers and approved by the building principal no later than 3 p.m. each Monday. The slips must be completed until the next five-week eligibility check – even if all subjects are being passed for the week. This procedure will be followed for the remainder of the sports season or longer, at the building principal’s discretion. If a student is ineligible for an athletic squad, he/she will participate in the practice sessions but not in the contests while he/she is ineligible.
All students participating in interscholastic athletics must receive a sports physical given by the school nurse.
Contact the Jr./Sr. High School: (518) 993-4000, ext. 3404.