Board of Education members serve for three-year terms. Regular elections for two or three seats are held each year on the third Tuesday in May, the same date residents vote on the coming year’s school budget. New board terms begin on July 1.
Any U.S. citizen who is a resident of Fort Plain Central School District for 30 days prior to the vote may run for a seat on the board. For information on how to be placed on the ballot, contact the district clerk.
The Board of Education welcomes public comment at its meetings. Each speaker will be limited to five minutes and all comments must relate to the agenda topic they wish to discuss.
How to comment during a public meeting
We appreciate your interest in our school district and encourage you to continue to attend our meetings and share your thoughts and ideas.
Fort Plain Central School District Board Policy # 3220 (Public Expression at Meetings) which reads:
The Board encourages public participation at Board meetings. During the Public Comment portion of the meeting, the President may ask for brief comments from the public and set a time limit on such comments. Persons wishing to speak will identify themselves with name and address, any organization they may be representing at the meeting and the agenda topic they wish to discuss. Comments should be kept as brief as possible and relate to school matters. Speakers may be limited to five (5) minutes at the discretion of the Board President. After the Open Board Meeting, the Board will proceed to Executive Session. This portion of the meeting is not open to the public as the Board will be discussing legal issues, appointments, resignations, and issues involving specific employees or students which are confidential.
After Executive Session, the Board will reconvene and may take action on issues discussed in executive session. The public is invited to return to this portion of the meeting but they must leave the meeting room during executive session.
Meeting schedule for 2017-18
All meetings are held in the Ronald H. Thibodeau Conference Room in the District Offices.
- July 10, 2017 – Re-organizational meeting and Regular meeting, 7 p.m.
- August 23, 2017 – Regular Meeting, 7 p.m.
- September 13, 2017 – Regular Meeting, 7 p.m.
- October 11, 2017 – Regular Meeting, 7 p.m.
- November 8, 2017 – Regular Meeting, 7 p.m.
- December 6, 2017 – Regular Meeting, 6 p.m.
- January 10, 2018 – Regular Meeting, 6 p.m.
- February 7 , 2018 – Regular Meeting, 6 p.m.
- March 7, 2018 – Public Hearing on Transportation, Building and Grounds Budgets and Regular meeting, 6 p.m.
- April 11, 2018 – Public Hearing on Elementary and Secondary Programs Budgets and Regular Meeting, 6 p.m.
- May 2, 2018 – Public Hearing to present Budget and Regular Meeting, 7 p.m.
- May 15, 2018 – Budget and Board Candidate Vote, Harry Hoag Elementary Gym, 1 p.m.-9 p.m.
- May 15, 2018 – Regular Meeting, 7 p.m.
- June 13, 2018 – Regular Meeting, 7 p.m.
Previous years school board minutes are archived and available by request through the District Office.
Contact by phone: 518-993-4000 ext. #1000
School Board Members
- Ronald Kardash, President
- Jeffrey Jones, 1st Vice President
- Joseph Bartholomew, 2nd Vice President
- Mary Beth Hudyncia
- Todd McFee
- Jami L. Stevens
- David Przestrzelski